Senior Software Engineer, Full-Stack - Growth Engineering
Are you looking to accelerate your career growth by joining an early-stage company going after a massive market opportunity?
Visor is a fast-growing company simplifying how people work together. Our vision is to become everyone’s favorite place to collaborate on data from anywhere. Visor’s product looks like a spreadsheet so everyone knows how to use it. But it’s the world’s most deeply connected spreadsheet, making entirely new solutions possible.
The company was founded at Harvard. We’re backed by the same investors as Airbnb, Shopify, Zapier, Hubspot, and Warby Parker. We have thousands of users worldwide.
We have raised funding (both announced and unannounced) and have plenty of runway. We don't have plans to fundraise for 2+ years.
We are looking for a business-oriented engineer to join our New York-based team and own the engineering projects related to acquiring and retaining Visor’s users. As part of the founding team, you will work alongside the CEO and collaborate daily with the marketing & customer success teams. You will be asked to think and act like a founder, and you will be treated as an owner.
We plan to set an industry standard for what a product-led growth strategy can accomplish. That means a superior experience for users and exceptional results for our success metrics. To accomplish this, you will be the founding technical member of a team whose sole focus is on the new user experience and commercialization of the product. Our growth engineering team’s focus will range from how users find Visor to how they manage their paid subscription.
Within the first month, you’ll start shipping production-quality code. By month three, you’ll be selecting your own projects and executing them. By month six, you’ll have technical ownership over our entire new user experience. And at month nine, you’ll be building entire new systems and platforms for user acquisition and experience.
This role requires a certain understanding of marketing concepts because you’ll also be managing the attribution data to help us learn where our best-value users originate. That will involve configuration and light integration work with our Marketing Automation platform, HubSpot.
Who you are:
- You have a Bachelors in Computer Science (preferred) or other relevant credentials
- A business-minded engineer who is passionate about driving results
- You’re an seasoned engineer who has 2+ years of experience building front end web applications using VueJs (or other front-end web frameworks)
- You are familiar with marketing technology concepts (such as UTM parameters and SEO optimization)
- A self-motivated learner who loves improving your skills and knowledge
- A collaborative engineer who prioritizes the total output of the whole team over personal achievement
- You’re willing to recommend improvements to the company’s existing practices but open to accept and embrace the architectural decisions and technologies already used
- You’re deeply interested in product quality, performance, and reliability
- You’re comfortable speaking your mind and sharing your opinions
- Detail-oriented. To prove it, please include a sentence in your cover letter referencing this line and include this word: meticulous.
What you’ll be doing:
- Gradually become more autonomous about priority-setting and making major architecture and technology decisions
- Expand our user attribution system so we understand where our best users come from and how they engage with Visor’s product and resources
- Build and maintain our marketing website, landing pages, content management system, and template system
- Improve our new user onboarding experience
- Build special projects to support our growth campaigns (e.g. a user community)
- Manage our analytics dashboards in Metabase
- Make build/buy decisions about products we can use
- Identify and resolve QA issues within the new user experience
- Join customer feedback calls to develop and share opinions about our roadmap and technical requirements
We believe in providing transparency into our pay plans to help eliminate the salary gap. The following describes our expected compensation range for this position. In these annual figures, we include the value of the employee’s regular salary and discretionary bonuses. We do not include other parts of the company’s compensation package, including: equity & options, benefits such as healthcare, unlimited PTO, and budgets for travel & equipment.
Please note that we may be able to extend offers outside of this range in order to match a wider range of candidate experiences and skills. If you are more experienced and have salary expectations higher than this range, please reach out to see if we should continue the conversation.
Primary budgeted range: $100k - $200k
Band 1 - $100k-$125k: This is band is for candidates who are earlier in their career (about 1-3 years of experience) who generally meet most of our qualifications.
Band 2 - $126k - $150k: This is our main target band for this position. This band is for candidates who are well-established in their career (about 2-4 years of experience) who generally meet most — if not all — of our qualifications.
Band 3 - $151k - $175k: This is a stretch band — if a candidate more experienced than our target ends up fitting this role. This band is for candidates who are highly experienced — with 5 or more years of experience — who generally meet all of our qualifications.
Band 4 - $176k - $200k: Candidates will be considered for the upper end of our compensation plan if they meet some of the following additional criteria:
(A) have substantially more experience than required in the designated area,
(B) have a wider range of experience across other complementary roles,
(C) demonstrated capacity for leadership beyond the expectations of this particular role,
Please note that discretionary bonuses are subject to the terms and conditions of any bonus plan in effect at that time. The amount of such bonus, if any, will be determined at the sole discretion of the company and in no event will employees be eligible for, and employees will not earn or receive, any bonus if you are not employed on the date such bonuses are paid to company employees. You should note that the company may modify salaries and benefits from time to time as it deems necessary. The company reserves the right to amend or withdraw the discretionary bonus, at its absolute discretion.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary with transparency into compensation
- Generous equity
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Unlimited vacation days (with mandatory two weeks)
- Generous budget for purchasing equipment to work from home (Approximately $5,000, including well-spec'ed laptop, Dell Ultrasharp monitor(s), professional microphone & webcam, and accessories)
- Semi-flexible work hours
- Opportunity to work from home (and office, when safety allows)
- Be a charter member of the founding team of a venture-backed company
We are passionate product builders who believe that today’s problems require a fresh perspective. We love our users and are deeply inspired by them. Our team culture values entrepreneurship, positivity, integrity, and continuous learning. We deeply care for one another and believe that the strength of the individual powers the strength of the group. We also believe in paying attention to the small details. To demonstrate that you do, too, please include the word "meticulous" inside your application (in the part asking about your specific experience in the past).
Our company mission is to improve the way the world works. That means we want to improve how our customers do their work, and we also want to have a positive impact on the broader community. We are committed to leaving the world a better place than we found it. We seek to build a team that wants to give back to our communities.
Location & travel:
This is a New York City-based position with flexibility to work from home most of the time. This is not a remote position, and we unfortunately cannot consider candidates who aren't within a day-drive of New York City. For culture-building reasons, we want to maintain a periodic in-person element to our team. We will give preference to those candidates who are within 100 miles of New York City and can easily get to town for periodic social events, planning meetings, or retreats.
There is no specific travel component to any of our roles. However, you should plan to be in NYC about 1-2 days per month, on average, for social events we plan. In addition, you should plan to travel once every 3 months for our offsite retreats that last between 3-5 days. Our retreats are usually within driving distance of NYC. Past retreat locations have included East Hampton, the Poconos, and skiing upstate.
Equal employment opportunity:
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend only to apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes but don't necessarily meet every point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At Visor, we believe in and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
At this time, we are only able to hire individuals who can work lawfully in the United States and will work from within the country. We are not able to sponsor new H-1B cases at this time, transfer visas for those who currently hold a visa with another employer, or hire candidates without legal authorization to work in the United States. We are also not able to consider candidates who do not plan to have their place of work within the United States.
Something looks off?