Senior Software Engineer - Backend, Cards
Our Product: Ampla is a financial platform designed to support omni channel brands at scale. Our Growth Line of Credit allows founders access to working capital solutions. In 2022 we launched Ampla Banking, Ampla Bill Pay, & Ampla Pay Later.
Our Mission: We are tirelessly focused on building better financial technology to serve emerging brands across eCommerce and increase their likelihood of success.
Why Ampla: We're driven, smart, and focused on trying to make life better for our customers. We believe that's what makes the best products. Some of our recent achievements:
- Named one of BuiltIn’s Best Startups to Work for in NYC in 2023
- Acquired Upside Financing in Q4’22
- Raised $40mm in our Series A in Q4’21
- Grew to 100 Employees in 2023, with teammates across 7 countries
We are looking for an experienced senior backend software engineer to join our Cards engineering team. The cards engineering team is responsible for building debit and charge card related products and services for our customers, such as issuing a new virtual card and earning rewards as you spend. As a senior member of our cards team, you will play a critical role in designing, developing, and maintaining robust and scalable backend solutions that power our cards product.
Our team culture is collaborative and supportive. We work remotely and pair often, follow agile practices, and work closely with product and design. We have many upcoming challenges such as scaling our systems to handle our growing cards customer base, adding features to help card users spend easily online and in the real world, and more.
The Cards product is built with Python & Django on the backend, Typescript & React on the frontend, and running on GCP with Postgres, Redis, and pubsub supporting. This is a backend focused role, however you’ll have the ability to work across the stack and get involved in areas that interest you.
- Lead the design, architecture, and development of cards backend systems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including frontend developers, product managers, and designers, to define and implement innovative solutions.
- Take ownership of technical design and architecture decisions, ensuring high-performance, scalability, and maintainability of the cards infrastructure.
- Write clean, efficient, and well-documented code while adhering to best practices and coding standards.
- Optimize and fine-tune existing backend systems for improved performance and responsiveness.
- Conduct thorough testing, debugging, and troubleshooting of backend components to ensure robustness and reliability.
- Mentor and provide guidance to other engineers, conducting code reviews and sharing technical expertise.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies in backend development.
- Participate in agile development processes, including sprint planning, grooming, and retrospectives.
- 5+ years of professional software development experience, with a strong focus on backend development using Python.
- Prior experience as a technical leader, such as authoring a technical specification, overseeing an initiative, or mentoring other engineers
- Proven track record of designing and building scalable, high-performance backend systems and APIs.
- Solid understanding of software architecture principles and design patterns.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to diagnose and resolve complex technical issues.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, with the ability to convey technical concepts to both technical and non-technical team members.
- Experience working in an agile development environment and familiarity with agile methodologies.
- A passion for staying updated with the latest technologies and trends in backend development.
- Experience with Django is preferred but not required.
- Experience with charge card products is preferred but not required.
Ampla’s business team is headquartered in NYC, but our engineering team is 100% remote with offices and living rooms in NYC, PDX, North Carolina, Miami, Argentina, Uruguay, and Brazil. Occasional retreats also provide an optional opportunity to collaborate face to face. Our Engineering team culture values collaboration, honesty, and pragmatism to solve technical challenges.Our current stack consists of:
- React 16 in Typescript
- Django 3 / Python 3
- Airflow 2
- Postgres, BigQuery
- dbt, Looker
- Google Cloud, Kubernetes (GKE), Terraform
Ampla is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.